The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ("NHTSA") reports that 5,014 motorcyclists died in 2019 due to fatal traffic crashes. In 2019, California had the highest registrations of motorcycles with 808,377 registrations. Compared to second ranked Florida, California experienced 217,110 more motorcycle registrations.
Motorcycles are very popular in California but negligent drivers and other factors can greatly increase the risk of traumatic injuries or death. Car crashes in California increased in 2020 and of those crashes an estimated thirteen (13) percent involved motorcyclists. If your interested in learning about motor vehicle crash statistics following the link below to a recent article by Arellanez Legal.
Why Hire Arellanez Legal.
At Arellanez Legal, we obtain results for our clients because we have a deep understanding of the legal process. Motorcycle injuries occur often and are serious. Injuries can include bruises, broken bones, scrapes, spinal cord injuries and traumatic brain injuries ("TBIs"). To learn more about about TBIs follow the link below to a recent article by Arellanez Legal.
Other injuries associated with motorcycle accidents include paralysis and chronic conditions. Arellanez Legal will manage your case to make sure you obtain the best outcome possible. In addition, we will fight to make sure your medical bills and, if needed, your future treatment costs are paid for. A motorcycle accident attorney should:
- Thoroughly investigate the vehicle crash;
- Preserve evidence from the vehicle crash;
- Locate witnesses and interview witnesses;
- Obtain photographs of the crash scene;
- Establish the liability/fault of the defendant driver(s);
- Inspect the vehicle(s), vehicle parts, and protective gear for any potential issues or defects;
- Assert the client's rights and protect them from insurance companies;
- File a lawsuit and supporting papers in a timely matter to avoid violating the statute of limitations;
- Name all responsible parties in the lawsuit who may be liable for the client's damages;
- Retain consultants/experts;
- Depose all witnesses and parties when needed;
- Obtain compensation for medical expenses;
- Obtain compensation for lost wages and future wages if applicable; and
- Obtain compensation for your pain and suffering related to the vehicle crash.
At Arellanez Legal we prepare for the expected and unexpected because we have a deep understanding of the law and know how to win motorcycle accident cases. To learn more about the role of an attorney follow the link below to a recent article by Arellanez Legal.
Why Do Motorcycle Accidents Happen?
In 2020, vehicle crashes increased due to bad behavior such as speeding and driving while under the influence. Some other causes for motorcycle accidents may include:
- Negligence (e.g. speeding, DUI, violating California Vehicle Code 23103 VC, etc.);
- Defective roads and highways;
- Defective motorcycles;
- Defective motorcycle parts (e.g. brakes, fluid lines, tires, etc.);
- Distracted drivers.
Distracted drivers unaware of motorcycles can cause severe injuries. California is one of the few states that allows motorcyclists to drive on the lane divider which is known as "lane-splitting." As such, motorcyclists obeying traffic laws are still at risk of severe injury or death.
Why is Lane Splitting Legal in California?
KTLA5 reports that "...[L]ane sharing has been going on in California ever since motorcycles have been on the freeway..." Lane splitting occurs in other states but California "...is the only place where the practice has been made legal."
If lane splitting were not allowed there would be additional vehicles occupying the lanes and traffic times would increase. Lane splitting results in less time spent on the freeway for the motorcyclist and other vehicles.
The California Highway Patrol "...uses guidelines that bikers should only split lanes when the flow of traffic is 40 mph or less, and not travel more than 10 mph faster than the vehicles surrounding them."
Motor vehicle drivers can help avoid accidents by moving over to the left or right to create a little bit of a gap for the motorcyclists to safely pass. However, this requires both motorcyclists and other drives to work together to save time and save lives. To learn what to do following a vehicle accident click the link provided below.
Motorcycle Accident Damages.
Motorcycle accident victims can seek compensation for the following expenses related to an accident:
- Ambulance bills;
- Emergency room bills;
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation bills and costs for future treatment;
- Mental health therapy bills;
- Lost income, and if applicable, lost future income;
- Property damage to your motorcycle and other property (e.g. helmet, saddlebags, etc.)
- For serious and severe crashes, home modification and long-term care needs.
"Per vehicle miles traveled in 2019, motorcyclists were about 29 times more likely than passenger vehicle occupants to die in a motor vehicle crash and..." four (4) "...times more likely to be injured." If you've been injured in a motorcycle accident contact a qualified attorney to discuss your case to obtain full compensation for your injuries.
Contact A Motorcycle Accident Attorney.
It's very important to discuss your case with a qualified attorney. At Arellanez Legal our nurse-paralegals work with Michael Arellanez to review your medical records to obtain favorable outcomes. Do not hesitate to contact Arellanez Legal by calling (951)888-2464 for a free consultation or by providing a date and time that will work for you via our easy-to-use contact page.